Friday, August 01, 2008

My last MRI & visit with my surgeon

I actually saw my surgeon (Dr. Gardner) for my normal check-up appointment in June. I hadn't had an MRI because he told me last December that if I was still doing well when he saw me that we would start going a year between MRI's as long as I was comfortable with it and wasn't having any problems. So when I saw him in June he asked me to remind him what type of tumor I had. So I did, and he explained that since it was an anaplastic tumor and a higher grade he wanted me to get an MRI done. He doesn't want to risk getting "behind it" and would rather see that everything really is great. So I had the MRI and 2 weeks later saw him again. Yep, everything still looks great. I'm so glad I paid him $25 to know :) Haha....

So I will see him again in January of 2009. No MRI scheduled at this point because he said the same thing again about having me go a year between MRI's as long as I'm still doing well when I see him again. I wonder if it will really happen?

Until next time.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ran across your blog while searching the internet, and I just wanted to tell you that I have found so much encouragement in reading it. The guy I am dating was diagnosed with a stage 3 brain tumor recently. He had his first surgery a month ago to remove most of the tumor. It has been a rough month to say the least.... Last Thursday he had a second surgery due to sever infection. Well it just seems that when it rains it pours. He is still in the hospital recovering from the second surgery, and we just found out tonight that he is going to have to have a third surgery because the infection has returned. We are all frustrated and hurting for him. Tomorrow they will remove his skull flap and leave it out for a couple of months. I just wanted you to know that reading your blog has given me so much hope and has renewed my faith! You are truly an inspiration!!! Thanks!!!

shea

Anonymous said...

Jeanie, Shea, who left the previous comment told me about your blog. My son is the one with the cancer that she was talking about. I loved reading your blog and even started reading your family blog. Really loved that. Loved the comments about your kids such as what your son said with the peanut incident. I will continue to read things about your family. Wish that I could meet all of you. You sound so lucky to have such a wonderful family. We live in Amarillo, Tx. My son, Brian is currently in the hospital in Dallas recovering from his second surgery to clean out the infection -- all this in less than 9 days. And to top it off he was allergic to one of the anitbiotics and is covered from head to foot by a horrible rash.
I wondered if you would mind giving me the name of your Neurosurgeon and the hospital you were in. Brian's surgeon is supposed to be one of the best but we are searching out other treatment centers, doctors, etc before we make a decision. His first surgery to remove the tumor wsa on August 7, 2008. We have had 2 appts at MD Anderson in Houston but had to cancel them each time because of the infection.
Anyway, you can email me mlair11062@aol.com with the info if you don't mind. You sound like a busy mother. Reading your blog made me miss my kids being little. Brian is 25 and my youngest. He has two older sisters.
Brian has a blog brianlair.blogspot.com or it is titled "No step for a stepper like me"
Also, thought you looked beautiful bald.
Thanks for brightening my day.
Marshi Lair

Tony said...

I'm soooo glad that it didn't come back! You deserve much more out of your lift still!

Agora Insights said...

Hi there

I have such a similar story. After my third child in 2006 I was diagnosed with a low grade oligoastrocytoma. What were you diagnosed with and where? Mine was in the temporal lobe.

Anyway, I have also written a blog - it really helps http://kohlerprojects.blogspot.com